Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Auto Un-starting Parallels

I found myself in an interesting rabbit hole the other day. I have a Parallels image set to automatically launch when I open the image and automatically kill Parallels when it's done. Very convenient because you start the VM, it runs Windows, and when you kill Windows, it kills the VM. Very convenient, that is, until you need to make changes to the VM configuration, which you can't do while it's running. After playing Whack-A-Mole for a few minutes, trying to get to the Edit menu before it could start (unsuccessfully, by the way), I did a little digging. It turns out that if you have those settings and you choose your VM from the Parallels catalog, you can hold down the APPLE key as you select it to prevent it from starting.

1 comment:

Philip Bergen said...

Ha! Whack-a-mole! :) I had the exact same problem. Stupid that there isn't a checkbox when you power off or something like that.